5 Essential Techniques to Swat Away the Stress
There’s Always a Solution!
Is the pressure of heavy workloads and closing in deadlines getting to you?
Are you unable to perform efficiently or reach the expectations of your superiors?
Are you on the lookout for an ideal routine or techniques that would help you evade the regular work stress?
No matter how bad you are facing these pressure situations, you will find that there’re always a few solutions in store for you to fight them off. We bring you five unique and essential techniques that would help you cope up with the common work stress effectively.
Tip 1: Give Yourself a Break
You might be having a busy day at work but it’s very much necessary to switch off for a few minutes every now and then. Taking a break in between the tasks will help you recharge and gain physical and psychological energy. Just forget about the deadlines for a few minutes and have some good time talking with your colleagues or with some small-time activities you usually enjoy.
It is also very important to exclude some activities during this much needed break.
- Do not smoke regularly (obviously)
- Do not engage in social networks for longer periods of time. It’s an unnecessary distraction from work
- Do not take in excess amounts of junk food or soft drinks during these breaks or even during work.
Tip 2: Sort out the Priorities
Never leave the major or important tasks for later! Divide your work day into two halves and dedicate the first and most important session to the crucial assignments. Many make the mistake of trying to accomplish the smaller or not so important tasks and get them out of the way early in the day. But it’s not at all recommended! Direct your focus on and get the bigger tasks done when you’re fresh and fully locked and loaded, not when you are deprived of energy or craving for some respite.
Tip 3: Multi-Tasking? Be Careful!
Quoting the words of the renowned author Steve Uzzell, “Multitasking is merely an opportunity to screw up more than one thing at a time”. It has been observed that there is almost 40% quality loss when people tend to multi-task. This is fundamentally due to bouncing between tasks that demands re-orientation multiple times which eventually leads to loss in speed, efficiency, and most importantly quality. Its quality that finally matters, doesn’t it?
History has showed that all great and successful persons have always aimed at just one big thing at a time. There’s no reason for that to change now. All you need is “Monomaniacal Focus” – An Intense concentration or enthusiasm for a single subject/idea/goal.
Multi-Activity vs. Multi-Focus
Many of you might still think “Why not Multi-Tasking? Doesn’t it provide quicker results?” Well, it depends on what your definition of Multi-tasking is.
Multi-Activity and Multi-Focus are two completely different things. While one can perform more than one activities at once that requires minimum effort from brain, one cannot focus one two different things at once even if it’s just thinking work. What you can do is Multi-Activity. What you should not do is Multi-Focus. Driving and texting is an important example of Multi-Focus. We all know how dangerous that can be.
Tip 4: Family Time – Decent Sleep – And Some Protein!
- You may be having hectic schedules or busy professional life. But never underestimate the power of dedicating some good time for your family. It lifts a huge amount of pressure off your shoulders than you can imagine. Spend a few healthy minutes every day with your family.
- Get a good night’s sleep. It’s a great factor for your next day’s work efficiency. Don’t stay up or work too late into the night unless it’s really, really important.
- Never skip breakfast! If you are starting early for work, then wake up early and have a healthy breakfast with foods that carry essential nutrients and proteins. A nourished body and mind always has a better chance to cope with stress situations effectively. Avoid high caffeine amounts and sugary foods that have a bad effect on your health.
Tip 5: Work Out and Meditate!
We saved the best for the last! There’s no better technique than getting some physical exercise and meditating for a few minutes every day. This helps you develop a focused mind, a strong and healthy body, and most importantly, you will be able to ward off the negative energy. You will find that the most successful personalities and celebrities across the globe include these two techniques in their daily regimen despite busy schedules.
Need an ideal guiding hand in getting some physical training and getting your body in an ideal shape? Consult our expert trainers at Steel Gym! And feel free to post your comments and ideas on de-stressing techniques below.